My talk for the DublinJS Meetup, June 2018 ⚡️
Description: In this talk I will be looking at WebAssembly and what it can do for you. I will speak about the strong and weakpoints of using it in your apps, along with some things to keep in mind performance wise. Lastly, I will show a few resources and tools which make using WebAssembly in your apps and learning more about it easier
Slides: Available on SlideShare
- WebAssembly is best used for speeding up a small, performance intensive part of your app
- You can write WebAssembly raw, but it is hard, and much better to use higher level languages.
- Rust, C and C++ have first class tickets in the WebAssembly world
- There is no garbage collector, JIT or intermediate representation, which is some of the reasons why it is so fast
- WebAssembly can give speeds of up to 80% of native performance
- You should check out WebAssembly Studio!
I also gave a demo, of a small markov chains implementation using WebAssembly and Rust!
You can see the source code on GitHub